Friday, August 25, 2023

the friday feed: everything bagel ice cream {august 25, 2023}

Garlic and onion are delicious on a bagel. But mixed into ice cream?

There’s a little cooler at the end of the check out lanes at my favorite grocery store, Dorothy Lane Market. It is filled with limited edition flavors of Jenis’s Splendid Ice Cream, one of them being Everything Bagel. At first I thought, “No way. Never.” The last time I was in the store, curiosity got the best of me and I bought a pint.

Once I got over the notion that everything bagel seasoning belongs only on a bagel, I thought maybe, just maybe, the combination of flavors might make sense in an ice cream. Jeni’s uses a mix called “Everything Bagel Gravel,” a slightly modified form of Everything Bagel seasoning, to blend better with dessert. It’s a buttery streusel seasoned with onions, garlic, cayenne, sesame, and poppy seeds to flavor the cream cheese ice cream base.

The buttery streusel is delicious, the sesame and poppy seeds add a nutty flavor, and I didn’t notice the cayenne. As for the garlic and onion, they're definitely there, and I think those flavors are a little too bold.  

I didn’t dislike this ice cream, but I won’t buy it again. If you’re a fan of bold flavors, this might just be for you. I'm glad I tried it but next time, I’ll try that butterscotch popcorn flavor.





No comments:

Post a Comment