Tuesday, July 12, 2022

summer in a bowl {july 12, 2022}

One of my most favorite restaurants was Olive, an urban dive, located in Dayton, in the former Wympee diner which still has its original signage. 

Olive's motto was local over import, labor over convenience, and service over everything else. It opened in July of 2011, started its own 6-acre farm in 2012,  and worked with other local farmers and purveyors to provide fresh, made from scratch seasonal menus. Unfortunately due to a lease impasse and the owner's business and life partner passing away, Olive closed its doors in 2015. 

The restaurant's atmosphere and food was unforgettable. I loved Olive's seasonal salads in a bowl, especially its Summer in a Bowl salad. Fresh summer veggies tossed together topped with an herbal salad dressing. Carrying on the spirit of Olive, I love going to the farmer's market, choosing the veggies that catch my eye, carrying them back to the car in a market basket that belonged to my mom, and making my own version of Summer in a Bowl. 

Good for the heart in more than one way.




No comments:

Post a Comment