Thursday, July 21, 2022

baby blankets {july 21, 2022}


Back in the day when I was having babies, my mom made flannel blankets to swaddle my little ones. She did this for all of my siblings' little ones and then she branched out to give to her friends' children who were starting families and to her friends who were becoming grandmas. She thought the store-bought blankets were too small for a proper swaddle. Her blankets were 45" x 45", big enough to tuck those corners for a cozy, but not too tight, wrap. 30+ years ago, the flannel color selection was very basic: pink, blue, yellow, white.

Now I carry on the tradition. I have made blankets for my kids' friends who are having babies but what is really special is making them for my first grandchild. Today's flannel selection is overwhelmingly huge! So many cute prints. With young people finding out their baby's gender before the child is born, having a nursery theme chosen, it's fun to take that information to the material store and choose a pattern that will fit into the newborn life.

This weekend T and I are going to a baby shower for my niece. This is her 3rd child, she and her husband don't know the baby's gender, but zoo animals are in her nursery theme. In a couple weeks my son and grandson are coming for a weekend visit so I need to get my Didi stock ready for the little guy.

These blankets may not be as cute and definitely not as perfect as the ones sold in stores but they have one thing that the store blankets don't have. Each one is made with lots of LOVE.


No comments:

Post a Comment