Friday, July 1, 2022

st. brigid {july 1, 2022}

When T and I go to New York City, one of our stops is St. Patrick's Cathedral where we like to light candles for family and friends. This past visit in May, I lit a candle for my brother who is scheduled for surgery today to repair a botched colonoscopy.

There are so many alcoves dedicated to saints in St. Patrick's. I didn't know which one to choose for him. But then I saw St. Brigid. He and his wife were married at St. Brigid's, she has been an amazing advocate to get the best care for him, so this seemed like a logical choice to make.

Who is St. Brigid? She is the patroness saint of Ireland, an abbess who founded several convents of nuns. There are few historical facts about her, she performed some miracles. Brigid holds a special place in the hearts of brewers. Like many women of her time, Brigid brewed ale and several of her miracles are associated with beer. Back in Brigid's day, beer was regarded as a sanitary, more nutritious alternative to water. Once asked for help by a group of thirsty lepers, Brigid spotted some bathwater being prepared. She blessed the water and it was transformed into beer. Another time, she transformed dirty bathwater into clean beer for visiting priests. Brigid's penchant for beer made me smile as my brother enjoys beer.



No comments:

Post a Comment