Friday, July 22, 2022

feather fun {july 22, 2022}


Whenever I see a feather, I think of Emily Dickinson's poem, "Hope Is a Thing with Feathers." I started thinking about feathers and feather idioms. It didn't take long to come up with a list.

* A feather in your cap

* Birds of a feather flock together

* Feathering your nest

* Horsefeathers (my kids and then later on my students got the biggest laugh when I said "Horsefeathers," especially in a dramatic fashion)

* Ruffling someone's feathers

* You could have knocked me over with a feather

* As light as a feather

* Shake your tail feather

* Tar and feather

* The feathers fly

“You know that book of poems I’m always carrying around? [...] In one of her poems, she calls hope the ‘thing with feathers,’ and I always think about that…. Maybe when we hope for something, the hope flies off to find whatever it is we’re thinking about…and then it brings it back to us. And when there’s nothing else we can do, at least we can hope.”

― Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the City of Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment