Sunday, April 10, 2022

shop local {april 10, 2022}

Little wedding details that cause (kind of) big headaches...

For this story I need to go back three years to my son's wedding. My at-the-time future daughter-in-law showed me an example of what she wanted her table numbers to look like. It was a .99 cent frame from IKEA spray painted gold with numbers printed on a clear acetate sheet. Easy enough. A trip to IKEA, a trip to the hardware store for gold spray paint, and then a trip to Office Depot for the printing. Done.

Fast forward to now. My daughter was looking at all sorts of ideas for her table numbers, stressing out about what to do, I suggested what I had done for her brother's wedding. At first she wasn't sure about it but then a couple weeks ago, she texted, "Mom, handle the table numbers." No problem. My plan was set in motion until...

IKEA doesn't carry the frames any longer. A quick Google search showed that they were available on Amazon. They're no longer .99 cents but $1.50 a piece. Ordered.

Spray paint was easy.

The printing was a PITA. I waltzed into Office Depot with the template for the numbers, told the young lady at the printing station what I needed, and she looked at me with that blank what-are-you-talking about stare. Same reactions at all the other big box office supply stores. I don't know if it's a change in technology, ramifications from the pandemic, or the wedding gods handing me a challenge, but printing on a clear sheet of acetate was not happening. Until...

I found a former combat photographer who owns his print shop (ten miles away) and he listened to my vision. He didn't have the acetate, but no problem. He would order it with an arrival in a couple days, the printing was no problem. Crisis averted. And he will print the other two projects to complete my last minute wedding tasks. Gold star customer service!



1 comment:

  1. Back in your library days, that was overhead transparency sheets, they will print in a laser printer, and most copy machines. I had a training contract for several years that insisted we use overhead transparencies until about 2005.

    ReplyDelete