Monday, April 25, 2022

oz park {april 25, 2022}

13-acre Oz Park was created in 1974 as part of an urban renewal program for Lincoln Park. In 1976 the park was officially named Oz Park to honor Lyman Frank Baum (author of the Wizard of Oz)  who settled in Chicago in 1891, several miles west of this area.

After our joyful but exhausting wedding weekend, T and I needed a relaxing breath of fresh air. An evening stroll with our daughter's dog was just what all of us needed. The park was bustling with children playing at Dorothy's Playground, a Little League baseball game at the ball diamond, tennis and pickleball players on the courts, dog owners watching their dogs on the open field (a dog park would be a wonderful addition), walkers enjoying a stroll on the sidewalks, people sitting on the benches in the Emerald City flower garden to read, visit, or enjoy their ice cream cone from the across-the-street Dairy Queen. Oz Park is a green oasis in this urban neighborhood. 


"No one can love who has not a heart, and so I am resolved to ask Oz to give me one."


        


   I’m afraid there’s no denyin’

                            I’m just a dandy lion

                            A fate I don’t deserve

                             I’m sure I could share my prowess

                             Be a lion, not a mouse

                             If I only had the nerve.

                                                               


"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

"The sum of the square roots of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy! Rapture!"

No comments:

Post a Comment