Monday, July 15, 2024

monday's mulling: wow


In his Sunday Five post, David, the author of The Adventures of Travel Penguin, asked, "When you are seeking happiness, what do you do?"

My answer, "Take walks, ride bikes, listen to music, cook."

Saturday's assassination attempt on Donald Trump turned the world upside down and Sunday morning it was news, news, news on every channel. This incident emphasized how truly ugly politics has become. I am not looking forward to these months leading to the presidential election. I don't like either candidate. I am worried about the future of our country.

So to get out of this funk, walking, music, and cooking helped to get my mind on a more positive path. I took my son's dog for a long walk and realized how much I miss the daily walks with my dogs. Slow walks that made me take notice of little things, deep breaths of fresh air, just slowing life down for a moment in time. Music...I painted some walls in our construction project (it should be finished in a month!) and while painting Spotify played lots of tunes. I sang, too. Sound bounces around on bare walls and I sounded pretty good! And then cooking. I had a bunch of tomatoes - red ones, yellow ones, and mini heirloom tomatoes - and made a tomato tart. It was pretty and it was really good. Puff pastry, a cheese base with ricotta, creme fraiche, yogurt, Parmesan, and fresh basil, covered artfully with the tomato slices, as the recipe suggested. Guess what the story will be for The Friday Feed? 🍅

The big story, one over which I have no control, was calmed by little stories, those that bring happiness. The big story will be around for a long, long time as agencies try to figure out what the hell happened and the news people bombard us with their non-stop stories. Don't know how many tomato tarts I'll be making but there will be lots of music and lots of walks. 




 

2 comments:

  1. CBS replaced the Sunday Morning Show, with "news" coverage rehashing what little is known, and all that is unknown, looking for news when nothing is new. I went to for an hours walk and escaped listening to the Tour de France. Came back and made potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tomato tart sounds supurb. Yes, the weekend's events are frightening to say the least. And, you are right, the news is so very full of the story. It's time to turn the music on instead.

    ReplyDelete