Monday, July 8, 2024

monday's mulling: handwritten thank you notes


Three thank you notes in one week…What a treat!


Nowadays thank you cards may not be as necessary or commonplace as they were in the pre-internet times but a handwritten note of thanks will always be appreciated.


When I get a handwritten letter, I'm excited to open it. The art of the postage stamp, the feel of the paper, the graphic quirks of a friend's handwriting. There is simply nothing as personal as a handwritten note. It's a treasure in a sealed packet. It”s a reminder of someone just around the corner or someone far away.

Writing a thank you note is more than good manners. It’s an opportunity to connect to the people in our lives in a meaningful way. In an increasingly informal digital world, continuing to pull out pen and paper is a way to distinguish yourself. A handwritten thank-you note sends the message that you care enough to invest yourself personally in acknowledging another.


Would I ever send a digital thank-you for a gift I was given or for a lovely 4th of July party? No way. It just isn't enough—not personal enough, not weighty enough. I sent my friend a text for her amazing 4th of July party but I am sending a thank you note to her, too. You can't hold digital thanks in your hands the way you can hold a note. When was the last time you printed out an e-card? Right. Email and texts are read and deleted. A mailed note is seen again and again on a desk or counter. Would you rather your thanks be remembered or deleted? Send a little joy someone’s way.

4 comments:

  1. I keep a supply of thank you cards, birthday cards, and condolence cards in the drawer next to my desk and send them out. I send far more than I receive,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a stash of cards and stamps as well. I send more than I receive, too. Maybe we'll start a revival of sending cards!

      Delete
  2. I have a very close friend who writes the best thank you cards. They are always a treat to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you notes are fun to write, too. It's a chance to reflect back on an event, a moment, a gift, and to enjoy it one more time.

    ReplyDelete