Friday, April 7, 2023

the friday feed: healing foods

 I’ve had laryngitis for the past six days. I’m getting to the point where I can talk above a whisper but still not talking much because I WANT MY VOICE BACK! (At least I can yell with capital letters) Try going to a wedding and having no voice. No fun. Going to the grocery store and typing a note out to order the Easter ham or to a restaurant and yet another note to the server with your order. Not being able to talk makes social interaction difficult and frustrating. 

I’m handling this on my own, no doctor visit, because it is just a big nasty cold. The burst of pollen from the spring blooming doesn’t help either. I took a COVID test…negative. Lots of liquid, decaf tea with honey and lemon or crystallized ginger. I made my immune boosting soup. Gargling with salt water. Not talking (even whispering is bad). Getting lots of rest. 


As inconvenient as this has been, it’s also had a few benefits: reading a couple books, designing a quilt for little grandson, writing letters, and just appreciating this slower pace. It will pick up soon.



Immune Boosting Soup


3 boxes of vegetable broth (I use chicken broth)

A whole head of garlic, chopped

3 inches of minced ginger, grated

3 onions, chopped

1 T. curry powder

1 bag of cilantro

4 carrots, chopped

4 celery stalks, chopped

Bok choy, kale, spinach, Swiss chard (your choice!)


Add all ingredients to a large pot, bring to a boil, simmer until vegetables are tender.


FYI: I add brown rice to my soup to add a little bit of substance. You can add any veggies you want. It's all about the garlic, ginger, onions, cilantro, and curry for the immune boosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment