Friday, April 21, 2023

the friday feed: be careful what you ask for! {april 21, 2023}



EVERYTHING ON IT

Poem and Drawing by Shel Silverstein

I asked for a hot dog

With everything on it,

And that was my big mistake,

‘Cause it came with a parrot,

A bee in a bonnet,

A wristwatch, a wrench, and a rake.

It came with a goldfish,

A flag, and a fiddle,

A frog, and a front porch swing,

And a mouse in a mask —

That’s the last time I ask

For a hog dog with everything. 

🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭 🌭

I loved reading Shel Silverstein's books and poetry to my children. His words were easy for the young audience to understand yet carried deeper meanings and lessons to "the moral of the story" to reach adults. The same went for his black and white drawings: Silverstein showed that being silly was OK. His drawing is imperfect but full of joy. 

I love my Shel Silverstein books. They haven't been used for quite a few years but now that little grandson is here, Didi will read the stories to him that his dad, aunts, and uncle so enjoyed. He will see where some pages have been colored in and maybe he will add his own artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment