Saturday, April 29, 2023

good-bye, old friend {april 29, 2023}


Sigh. My favorite salad bowl, pasta serving dish, and whatever else I wanted to use it for bit the dust. 

Many years ago when on my way home from dropping one of my kids off at Ohio University in Athens, OH, I stopped by the outlet mall at Jeffersonville and went into the Williams-Sonoma store. Kitchen stores are my downfall but surprisingly, I didn't see anything that I just had to have. 

Until, at the very back of the store, on a sales shelf that had markdown after markdown, I saw this beautiful bowl for $5.00. FIVE DOLLARS! 

No hesitation. It was mine.

It was a regular on the dinner table. It went to pot lucks, baby and bridal showers, holiday and graduation parties. Everywhere I needed to contribute a dish, it was there. It was particularly busy in the summer after trips to the farmers' market and I had loaded up my bag with all sorts of veggies to make my "Summer in a Bowl" salads. 

After years and years of use, a couple cracks appeared and got bigger over time. Then one night, after washing it and letting it drip dry in the sink, I heard a noise from my family room. T went into the kitchen to see what happened, came back and said, "Your salad bowl broke." Oh, no! My beautiful, $5.00 find. I thought about super gluing it together but that fix wouldn't have lasted long. 

Am I on a new quest to replace it? Yes, but I'm not in a rush. I want it to be a serendipitous moment like all those years ago where the unexpected delight of the find made my day!


1 comment: