Monday, September 5, 2022

empty the veggie bin {september 5, 2022}

For the past week one of my daughters has been in the house and we like to cook! She and her boyfriend went back to Chicago today and my vegetable bin is full of bits of this and that: a handful of spinach, four giant leaves of Swiss chard, a half box of mushrooms, a bunch of cilantro, and a sprinkling of parsley. T has gone out of town for a few days, I have all these veggies, it's been a busy, fun-filled week, I'm worn out, and a little sniffly. With all these leftover veggies plus a few more, I'm going to make a pot of soup.

One of my yoga instructors believes that food is medicine and during the pandemic lockdown, she shared a recipe for immune boosting soup. So many good-for-you goodies in this and all of them are in my fridge.

⁕ Onion, celery, and carrots: The mirepoix (what a cool word) for a must have flavor base.

⁕ Garlic: Lots of garlic for rich flavor but also for anti-inflammatory healing properties.

⁕ Ginger: Famed for its powerful medicinal properties for centuries.

⁕ Greens: Kale, spinach, chard, bok choy - whatever you love - will work great for an extra dose of nutrients and texture.

⁕ Broth: my yoga instructor is vegetarian so vegetable broth for her. I prefer chicken broth. 

Lots of bold flavors, lots of health benefits, and no food is going to waste.



Immune Boosting Soup

This feeds a big group; adjust as needed. You can't mess it up.


3 boxes of vegetable broth (I use chicken broth)

A whole head of garlic, chopped

3 inches of minced ginger, grated

3 onions, chopped

1 T. curry powder

1 bag of cilantro

4 carrots, chopped

4 celery stalks, chopped

Bok choy, kale, spinach, Swiss chard, or any other green you like (your choice!)


Add all ingredients to a large pot, bring to a boil, simmer until vegetables are tender.


I add brown rice to my soup to add a little bit of substance.


No comments:

Post a Comment