Last week was a quiet one. We had been on vacation with our kids and grandkids, had an absolute blast, and when we got home, we were tired! We took things slow and steady, doing a little bit at a time as we eased back into the swing of things.
Between raindrops, we took quite a few walks. With all the moisture, mushrooms - BIG mushrooms - had popped up in quite a few yards. They seemed to appear overnight!
The Danvers carrots I planted as a nod to my mom’s little hometown in Illinois are growing, and their leaves are such a beautiful, fresh green. Curiosity got the best of me with this one. I knew the carrots weren’t big enough to pick, but I just had to pull one. My first carrot! I’m so excited!
Out at the farm, puddles are all around the parking lot. As I was walking back from the gate, I noticed the reflection of the flowers and the farm stand’s roof in one of them. So pretty. Puddles can be such a fun medium for photography, turning an ordinary bit of water into a reflection of the world around it.
Monday, Todd and I met my brother and sister at a family-run Mexican restaurant that has been in business for 22 years. Sadly, the restaurant is closing its doors at the end of the month. COVID was tough on them, and what makes it even more frustrating is that the government wouldn’t provide them with PPP (Paycheck Protection Program) funding to help them stay open because the entire family was employed there. That just isn’t right. So many people scammed the government to get PPP money, while these honest, hardworking people couldn’t get any type of financial assistance. Also, the shopping center where the restaurant is located has a new owner and the rent has been raised. A double whammy right there.
After dinner, we stopped by Lincoln Park Commons to stroll around on a lovely evening. Once the leaves start dropping, the fountains will be turned off, and preparations for the Christmas season will begin. It’s hard to believe we’re already heading in that direction!
And finally, with all the rain and clouds, there haven’t been many sunsets lately. I caught this one, though, and it was just beautiful!






Giovani the organic farmer at the market, plants carrots fairly thick, then sells the small one's as he thins them during the season, I roasted a small bag of them with a beef roast on Sunday, nothing like it. They are also good boiled or steamed and finished in honey and butter.
ReplyDeleteYummmmmm!
DeleteI've been hearing about all the rain you are getting in your part of the country. Sad news about that restaurant. I just learned that a restaurant I liked and featured on my blog is also closing. It will be missed.
ReplyDeleteIt is sad when a favorite restaurant closes.
DeleteIt's sad to see favorite restaurants close. And what will the family do now? The three Italian restaurants we loved (one in Grants Pass, Oregon and two in Arcata, California) are all gone now. The puddle picture is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThe parents are going to open a catering business. Their youngest child is now in high school and the other young adults (they had 10 children!) have moved on to other careers. I love catching reflections in puddles!
Delete