Monday, August 24, 2026

monday's mulling: virgo


Horoscopes are fun, but I don't use them to guide my life. Back in the days when we had the daily newspaper delivered to our door, I always enjoyed reading my horoscope. It was fun to see what the day supposedly had in store for me and to wonder whether any of it would be true.

I am a Virgo, and Virgo season runs from August 23 through September 22. I don't put much stock in astrology, but I do admit that some of the classic Virgo traits fit me surprisingly well: perfectionism, self-awareness, attention to detail, high standards, practicality, hard work, and a tendency to be service-oriented. I am also my own worst Virgo enemy, and sometimes drive myself crazy trying to get everything just right. Deep breath...not everything needs to be perfect and that it's perfectly fine to let things go.

Recently I came across this list of hobbies that Virgos supposedly need in their lives, and gave it a nod of the head. The list fits me to a "T." Writing, editing or proofreading, organizing events, gardening, cooking and baking, crafting, and learning new skills. I can honestly check off every single bullet point.

Now, does that prove astrology is accurate? Probably not. But it certainly makes for an entertaining coincidence.

Hobbies do keep my mind engaged, give me a sense of purpose, and allow me to create, organize, learn, or help. And perhaps the perfectionist Virgo trait is still a work in progress: learning when to stop, take a breath, and let "good enough" be good enough.

1 comment: