Saturday, August 29, 2026

the lunar eclipse

Last night, an almost full moon shone over Coldwater Lake, Michigan. Its soft light illuminated the sky and shimmered across the surface of the lake as the moon awaited its eclipse.

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth moves directly between the sun and the moon, blocking the sun’s direct light from reaching the lunar surface and casting Earth’s shadow across the moon. A friend of a friend took this beautiful photograph of the eclipse using a telephoto lens which allowed her to capture the moon’s details up close.

I stayed up to watch the eclipse until it reached about 50%. There was something peaceful about standing beneath the night sky, watching the moon slowly disappear into Earth’s shadow.

An ordinary day had a extraordinary ending.


 

2 comments:

  1. I remember my first lunar eclipse, standing in the back yard at the farm. Cameras have come so far in 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you got a way better photo than I did. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete