Thursday, August 13, 2026

signs of autumn

It’s mid-August, and the first signs of fall are beginning to creep into the landscape. This tree is a perfect example, half red and half green. Both colors are vibrant, but soon the green will give way to brilliant shades of red, and the tree will be transformed to its autumn glory.



My coneflowers are also showing signs of the season changing. Their petals are fading and falling, leaving behind seeds that the goldfinches have discovered. I’ve tried many times to capture a photo of the little finches perched on top of the flowers, but they do have a sixth sense about my camera. Just as I get close enough for what I hope would be a perfect shot, they fly away.

There’s something beautiful about these small changes. Summer isn’t quite finished, but fall is quietly announcing its arrival with its subtle color changes.

3 comments:

  1. I am hoping for a late August hot spell, the kind that would shut down the honey farm for a couple of days around my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those goldfinches just love to pick the seeds out of the center of those flowers. They are fun to watch. That tree is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems as if summer has barely begun when it begins to leave.

    ReplyDelete