Wednesday, April 3, 2024

wednesday wordiness, wanderings, & wonderings

Wordy Wednesday is still around but in a little different format. Here goes!


My old kitchen is gutted and my dining room has been turned into a makeshift kitchen. It's been almost a month since the project started and so far this temporary arrangement is working well. I have everything I need - stove, fridge, and a laundry sink. My dishes, pots and pans, baking dishes, and pantry are on shelves in a bedroom. The one thing I really miss is a garbage disposal. It's so much easier to put food residue into the sink, flip a switch, and voila...it's gone, rather than wiping it into a trash can.

I fixed the Easter meal in this kitchen and took all the food over to my son's house for everyone to eat. Right now he has more space than I do and he also has a dishwasher! Doing daily dishes for T and me is fine, but not after cooking for seven people. 

I love cooking for my family and planning holiday meals. For me, food is part of  memorable holiday gatherings and celebrating the family being together. My mom set the standard for making holiday meals special and she learned that from her mother. I always ask for suggestions. Some of the responses are the same and others are something new and different.

Little Grandson from Cleveland and his mom and dad were here for Easter. A little one's excitement at opening a plastic Easter egg with Teddy Grahams in it is so heart warming. We went to the "pock" (park) and I lost count of the number of times we went down the slides. He kept saying, "Didi go, Didi go," so Didi did. Memories to treasure.

I was in Chicago for a week while my daughter's husband was on a business trip and she wasn't ready to be at home alone with a baby and a dog. We had a couple of fairly sleepless nights and it's amazing how exhaustion magnifies every noise and situation. When it was time to go home, we were both very emotional, but I needed to get home for of all things, a dentist appointment. (I had cancelled it at the last minute and they were miffed so I needed to make this one to stay in good graces). My first yoga class after I got home had a lot of balancing poses and because I was tired and still thinking about my daughter, my poses were wobbly, I got mad about that, which then made the poses even wobblier. Your emotional state makes a lot of difference in how you perform in anything. 

My daughter is on her maternity leave and her son is now seven weeks old. She'll return to work in June but right now we have long phone conversations, which will not be as frequent after she returns to work. Again, time to treasure while we have this opportunity.

Yesterday our weather forecast predicted a lot of stormy weather. You would have thought April 2 was going to be the day Ohio would be blown off the map. I went to my Zentangle class at UD  from 12:30 - 2:30. We were notified at 1:45 that the building was closing at 2:00 to give people time to get home safely. It rained a little on the way home, then sunshine, then clouds, then severe thunderstorms hauling their way through the Miami Valley. There's so much hype for weather events. Dayton is also in the Path of Totality for the solar eclipse on April 8. Again the news is bombarding us with warnings that there could be up to 500,000 people coming to the region to view the eclipse so stock up on groceries, be sure to get your solar glasses, allow extra time to get places. Just give the necessary information and let people think for themselves. And for now I'm watching "Chopped."


6 comments:

  1. We used a lot of paper plates while the kitchen was being done. In the long run, you will love the new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a big stack of paper plates from Costco.

      Delete
  2. I have friends who have gone to Mexico to view the eclipse. You are lucky, you can view it from your home. We will only see a partial eclipse here.
    I'm betting you will love your new kitchen when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that the sky will be fairly clear. Who knows with this fickle springtime?

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this first glimpse into your Ohioan life. It was really good of you to support your daughter in Chicago with her new baby. I will call round again soon with some sandwiches and a pie.

    ReplyDelete