Friday, January 3, 2014

The Howard Tree

For me, putting up and taking down a Christmas tree is a lovely experience because it brings back lots of memories. There are the ornaments that hubs and I bought at an after-Christmas sale at a charming family garden center, DeHaven's, in Findlay, when we were engaged so we would have ornaments to put on our first tree after we were married. Those ornaments have been around for 33 years! My parents gave me a couple ornaments they purchased when my dad was stationed in Germany and where I was born 56 years ago. My brother and I made some wood ornaments 30 years ago to put on the lower part of the tree to satisfy my then 2-year old son's curiosity. There are ornaments that depict our family: a Cleveland Browns helmet, two chocolate lab ornaments, stockings that I made from a classic 80s sweater that hubs finally decided to give up. After my dad died, Mom gave my siblings and me the Waterford ornaments that he so lovingly collected.

Last year, I was behind on my Christmas decorating (I usually have it done the day after Thanksgiving). Due to pine allergies in the family, we have an artificial tree, and when I got the tree out, it was obvious that the tree needed to be replaced. A section of lights wasn't working and a few of the lower branches were droopy. My mission for that day was to find a tree so off to WalMart...no luck. Next stop Meijer. Found one but a bit pricy. Sears came to mind so off to the Dayton Mall to see what was there. 

I found my tree! But there were none in stock. 

A very nice salesman looked online to see if any were available in the area stores...no luck. He sat down at the computer and typed in the information on sears.com and found one. It would be delivered to my doorstep in two days. As I thanked this kind man, I looked at his name tag. His name was Howard. My dad retired from Sears, his name was Howard and his favorite holiday was Christmas.

I do believe I met a Christmas angel and had a hello from heaven that day.

I have a pair of mittens that belonged to my dad. One of them makes the perfect tree topper.




No comments:

Post a Comment