Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Simple Pleasures

Simple pleasures are one of the niceties in life. I was in New York City last week and came home to a very empty refrigerator. I should have gone grocery shopping right off the bat after getting home, but I didn't. Instead I spent the day outside waging war against the weeds that took advantage of my week's absence, tilled dirt in my gardens, and "vacuumed" up some heavy lawn clippings from the grass cutting Hubs had cut the day before. 

Dinner time arrived, I was starving, nothing of note to eat. The day had been a sunny, but cool spring day here in the Miami Valley and soup sounded good. Dorothy Lane Market, here I come, and please let one of the soup selections be Burgoo...please, please, please!

Burgoo...what a fun word! Back in the day when I lived in Owensboro, Kentucky, my parents would get Burgoo and other marvelous barbecue items from a little restaurant called the Moonlight Barbecue. My brothers and sister and I weren't too fond of this soup that was spicy, had all different kinds of meats and lots of veggies. We called it Bird-Doo.

Well, tastes change as we grow and I now love Burgoo. And it was one of the selections in the soup line up...YES!

Nothing better than a warm bowl of soup with lots of crackers crunched in to soothe, as Winnie-the-Poo would say, that "rumbly in my tumbly."

Soup...Saltines...Satisfaction...Simple





No comments:

Post a Comment