Thursday, May 30, 2013

Jill's Radishes


Every Monday is "Marvelous Mother Nature Monday" on my friend Jill’s Facebook page. She loves nature and has a vast knowledge of it and her posts are always so enjoyable to read.

“My gardens are thriving (so far!) I get such joy from the beauty and magic that I go out a couple of times a day just to gaze in wonder. Seriously. These plants are my babies. 
My radishes are round, red and ready to be picked and consumed - trouble is, I don't like radishes. No, I hate radishes. Seriously. I know, I know, why did I plant them? I could give you any number of reasons, but, they don't really matter. What matters is that I've got some really nice radishes that nobody over here wants to eat - please let me know if you'd like some! Seriously.”   ~ Jill

Well, well, well...I love radishes. Seriously. 

What to do with these 9 beautiful red gems? I wanted to do something different and so I roasted them. I’ve never roasted radishes. Roasting veggies brings a new dimension to them, a rich, brilliant, caramelized sweetness. These nuggets went from crunchy and spicy to mellow and soft. They reminded me of turnips only not as “bitey.”

But a tray of roasted radishes just didn’t do it for me...it needed some friends, so playtime began! And the end result was a farro salad with the radishes added to other roasted veggies: parsnips, sweet potatoes, and tomatoes. There was a beautiful pile of radish greens sitting on the counter and screaming, “DO NOT LET THESE GO TO WASTE!”  What goes good with greens? Bacon. Fry up a couple strips of bacon and saute the greens in the little bit of bacon grease, a splash of olive oil and cider vinegar, add it to the salad and voila...smoky bacon, tangy vinegar, earthy farro, sweet roasted veggies...Yum, yum, yum! 

Seriously.














No comments:

Post a Comment