Saturday, October 22, 2022

viola {october 22, 2022}


When I was in 5th grade, the new kid at a new school, musical instrument day came to school. Musicians played, talked about, and answered questions regarding the various instruments to see if there was anyone interested in joining the school’s band or orchestra. I was very shy, I liked music, and the thought of being around people with a common interest seemed like a good thing to do.

The string instrument demonstration fascinated me, especially the viola. I had never heard of the viola but its low, deep, and mellow tones really caught my attention. The conductor explained that the viola most often plays the “inner voices,” the accompaniment parts, whereas the violins get the primary melody parts. The viola was important but not front and center. I could relate to that.


I played the viola all the way through high school and wanted to continue in college. When I went over to the music school and told them I would like to play with a musical group, the first question was, “Are you a music major?”

“No.” An explanation followed that people who aren’t interested in pursuing a musical path really don’t have a place in the music school. It had to do with their idea of commitment and it was there my viola playing days ended.


Playing the viola gave me an appreciation for listening to the background parts in a musical piece or song. I enjoy watching the viola players at the symphony; I listen for their part. It gave me time management and organizational skills, fitting in practice, homework, time with friends, and chores at home. The sense of achievement finally mastering a tough passage. For a quiet, shy kid, music brought about confidence and helped with stage fright while giving a presentation in class. So many benefits, friendships, and life lessons from those seven years of musical instruction.



No comments:

Post a Comment