Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Blue Moon

My mom had lots of sayings and one piece of advice she gave to her four kids advice went something like this: "You need to learn something new everyday or else your day isn't complete." As a kid, this was kind of intimidating...I thought that meant I would be in school forever! 

Last night (August 20) was a blue moon night and Facebook was abuzz with posts about it. And I thought, "No way, somebody's messed this one up." A blue moon is the second full moon occurring in a single month. 

But I learned something new...seasons can have blue moons, too. There's an alternative definition of blue moon: the third full moon in a four moon season. Since last night's full moon was the third of four this summer, it's a blue moon by this standard. 




Whichever definition you prefer, a blue moon is a rare occurrence.

I went to yoga at 7:30 p.m. and was excited to see the moon as I drove home. Clouds had come in during class and covered the moon. Every once in a while, the clouds would break and tease me with a glimpse. Fast forward...I fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 1:00 a.m. As I shuffled toward the stairs, I looked at the front door and in my sleepy fog thought, "Look outside." And there it was shining brightly...




As the saying goes, "Once in a blue moon..."





No comments:

Post a Comment