Wednesday, January 9, 2019

the circle of life

The magic of Christmas...

I love Christmas and all that comes with it: the shopping, the wrapping, planning menus and preparing food, making sure each bed has crisp, clean sheets for the family members who will fill them, decorating and reminiscing about past Christmases, cleaning house, writing Christmas cards. The list of Christmas to-dos is long but I love it because it's all about family and friends. But there are those moments when the feeling of being overwhelmed washes over you and you have a mini-meltdown.

Out of the blue I get a text from my cousin Bill with a picture of a post card from Germany. Stopped me in my tracks. I knew exactly what it was.

My dad was in the Army, stationed in Germany. My mom sent a Christmas card to my cousin John from me. It was my first Christmas, John's second. 

What makes the story more incredible is that Bill's mother-in-law found this post card in a box of random cards that she purchased at an auction. And now, 61 years later, it is back with me.

All is calm.



No comments:

Post a Comment