Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Zucchini Costata Romanesco




It’s zucchini time!

This is the first year I have grown zucchini in my little garden. I have been hesitant to grow zucchini because it does take up a lot of space and once it starts growing it’s very prolific and EVERYONE is giving away their over-abundant crop. Sometimes people just can’t give it away. I want to be one of those people! 

But I read about a zucchini that is a little bit different from the plant that is typically grown in most gardens: It’s the traditional Italian heirloom, zucchini costata romanesco. According to Johnny’s Select Seeds (www.johnnyseeds.com), “This distinctive zucchini is medium gray-green, with pale green flecks and prominent ribs. Big, large-leafed bush with only about half the yield of hybrids, but much better flavor; clearly better textured, nutty, and delicious, raw or cooked. Also a good producer of heavy male blossom buds for cooking.” Sounds like my kind of zucchini...

I prepared my 8 x 8 garden plot for planting and put the seeds in the ground in early May. For quite a while there nothing happened, then a few sprouts popped out of the dirt and that’s what was there for a couple weeks. Then the rains came and the zucchini jungle flourished! 

Zucchini costata is delicious and versatile...ways to use it are endless and as it’s going right now, so is my crop of zucchini!





No comments:

Post a Comment