Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Full Worm Moon


I've always loved the night sky. When I was young, I had a book about stars and constellations. I knew the contents of that book from cover to cover. I have always loved looking at the moon and watching it go through its phases.

What's fun about the full moon is that there is a name (or a few) for each one. March's full moon is the Full Worm Moon. According to the Farmers' Almanac, the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this moon as the Full Crow Moon, when the cawing of the crows signaled the end of winter. It is also known as the Full Crust Moon because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing during the day and then freezing at night. Another variation on this moon's name is the Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon and was considered to be the last full moon of winter.

These names make total sense. The robins have returned and are looking for worms. Winter Storm Virgil blasted through here this past Sunday and Monday and when I was out taking pictures this morning, the snow crunched beneath my feet. The first day of Spring was March 30 and Lent ends on Holy Saturday, March 30. These names for the full moon coincide with calendar time and events.

I woke up early this morning and moonlight was streaming through my window. At 6:00 a.m., I was out snapping a few photos. Waved hello to the newspaper delivery lady and said good morning to the neighbor's dog who was barking at me.

Went back out at 7:20 and took a few more. The birds were waking up...lots of singing, chirping and honking!





No comments:

Post a Comment